Tuesday 14 April 2009

Easter in Devon

I have just returned from a weekend away with the children in Devon. My first trip down since Richie passed away. As many of you are aware Devon was where we got married and was somewhere we had always talked about moving to in the future. So it was a very strange journey thinking back to the times we have spent in Devon and the plans we had considered for our old age!

The journey down was a nightmare, typically I had left later than intended and therefore joined the masses travelling to the seaside for the Easter break urgh! My sister Julie, her other half Chris and their son Josh came with us. I had also bought alone a friend for Becca, her school mate Shannon. So we had two packed vehicles heading down the M4 and M5. We hired a couple of log cabins on a golf resort in Tedbury St Mary (a few miles out of Exeter).

Saturday we spent at Creely Adventure Park - the kids had a whale of a time. It was a fairly small park so Becs and Shannon had the luxury of being allowed to walk around without the adults and go on the rides that they wanted whist the rest of us watched the boys who spent most of the day playing with diggers in the sand.

Sunday gave us a gloriously sunny day so we all headed for the beach after the kids had finished their Easter Egg Hunt. Being a typical donut I didn't take myself any suncream and think I have become the first person to burn on a UK beach in early April! (This does not bode well for my upcoming trip to India!!)

Monday was spent doing a little shopping before heading back home (another 5 hrs spent in traffic jams!!). Unfortunately this journey back was not without its mishaps. Harry needed a wee (after giving the usual 10 second warning). We were stuck in the outside lane with no chance of getting to any services for at least half an hour. Therefore, yep, you guessed it Harry peed his pants - bless him! He was so upset as he very rarely has an accident and is always proud that he uses the toilet like a big boy! Anyway, we got him changed and into dry clothes and continued the journey home. Aprox 1 mile from Membury services I get another warning from Harry - he needs to wee again! Brilliant I think as we are a stones throw from the services - this clearly was not quick enough for Harry as he needed to go immediately. He therefore pulled out his winky and peed all over my car (and unfortunately Shannon too as she had the misfortune to be sat next to him). I didn't no whether to laugh or cry (I love my son but I also really love my car!!) - Harry then announces that at least he pants were dry!!!!! Kids and their logic - brilliant! I'm pretty sure Richie would be looking down laughing his socks off at the situation!

No comments: